Help:ICOOL 2007 workshop on educational modeling languages
Jump to navigation Jump to search
<pageby nominor="false" comments="false"/>
Pre-conference workshop on educational modeling languages
This is part 1 of my contributions to Icool2007, i.e. resource page prepared for the workshop participants. I will not update this page.
Lecturer: Daniel K. Schneider, TECFA, University of Geneva
- 1-day workshop, June 11 9:30-12:30h 14:00-16:30h
- Maximum participants: 20
- Other requirements: Bring your own memory stick (USB key)
- You may bring your own Personal Laptop
- This preconference workshop aims to introduce and discuss various educational modeling languages (EML). An EML formally describes educational materials and/or pedagogical scenarios. Some EMLs are executable, i.e. allow to assemble certain kinds of learning objects which then can be "played" in various platforms.
- We introduce educational modelling languages as building blocks of instructional designs and critically discuss purpose and scope of various formalisms and tools. Participants also will gain some hands-on experience with a few tools.
- This workshop will provide a global overview, but we also will have a hands-on activity with 2-3 technologies, e.g. IMS Content Packaging with the Reload Editor and LAMS.
- Slides - 2MB PDF (about 100 pages). These slides need some additions and revisions, but I don't have time yet - Daniel K. Schneider 18:28, 18 June 2007 (MEST).
- I also distributed a paper copy of my Reload Editor Tutorial and the eXe Online Manual
Related resources in this wiki
- The concepts of instructional design model and instructional design method: what can be modeled ?
- What are design languages ?
- What is the purpose of educational modeling languages ?
Overview of educational modeling languages
- Major standardization bodies
- What are so-called profiles, e.g. SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004
- Learning object standards
- E-learning tools: e.g. Authoring environments, learning management systems, learning object repository.
- Less known initiatives, on-going research.
Ontologies and Metadata
- Metadata, in particular Learning Object Metadata Standard
- Ontologies to analyze domain knowledge as in MISA or to model user characteristics
- The role of the semantic web initiative (RDF/OWL) for education
IMS/SCORM 1.2/IEEE standards overview
IMS Learning Design and Simple Sequencing
Activity management systems
Document-centric models and systems
- Is there a future for document standards like DITA or Docbook ?
- The growing impact of microformats and semantic XHTML. Will there be microformats in Education ?
Educational use of design languages
Discussion and alternatives
- Do we really need modeling languages and in which situations ?
- Where do light-weight cognitive tools and social computing fit in ? Why are they more successful ?
- Industry modeling languages like UML ? The IMS learning design information model has been defined in UML.
- What is the relation to document and hypertext standards ?
- Where do (some) lesson planners fit in ?
- The current status of IMS Learning Design (LD). Why are tools so slow to appear ?
- Where does e-learning 2.0 fit in, or is it an "anti-model" ?
- Reload IMS/CP Scorm 1.2/Learning Design Editor
- Exe Authoring Tool
- MOT Ontology and Learning Design Editor
- For references see all wiki entries, and in particular the Educational modeling language article please.