The TECFA unit at University of Geneva sponsoring this wiki does and DKS, does have have some making technology. According to the Fab Lab conformity self-rating we rate it CCCB: (1) Closed or restricted user group; (2) No charter; (3) Difficult to do projects that require other tools than a 3D printer, laser cutter, "standard DYI" tools or electronics. (4) Very little participation in the community, However, we did produce useful tutorials and contribute in that sense (see the fab lab category). We also have contacts with local fablabs.
Our intent was not to create a fab lab as defined by the FabLab community, but we explore teaching of design and micro-fabrication in education. Of particular interest right now is the UK's Digital Design and Technology Programme.
- Daniel K. Schneider 20:05, 12 October 2011, updated oct 2014/ aug. 2017.
So far, we got the following equipment (there will be 1 or 2 more devices, e.g. a hobby mill):
(1) Embroidery machines and software
- Elna 8300 (spring 2011)
- Brother PR1050X Semi-professional embroidery machine (Aug. 2017).
- Stitch Era embroidery software (since 2011, several tutorials)
(2) 3D printers
- RapMan V 3.11 (bought in jan 2010). It still works, but we use it as nice museum piece.
- Fabbster 3D printer, bought in March 2012 (given away)
- Felix 3D printer (V. 1.0), bought in April 2012.
- Felix 2.0 3D printer (V 2.0), bought in oct. 2013.
- Felix Pro 1 3D printer, bought in Dec 2015.
- CR-7 3D printer, bought in Nov 2015, given away in 2017.
- Several Dagoma printers bought by co-workers.
(3) Digital piano
- Yamaha DGX-640 digital piano (fall 2011)
(4) Vinyl cutter
- Silhouette Cameo (feb/2012)
(5) Laser cutter
(6) Heat press
- Ricoo T538B heat press (oct. 2017)
- Two co-workers do work with Arduino and Raspberry PI boards,
- Maybe a food 3D printer
- Maybe electronics for teaching
- fr:STIC:STIC IV (2011) - Design et microfabrication par ordinateur
- fr:STIC:STIC IV (2013) - Design et microfabrication par ordinateur / Elargis tes Horizons
- fr:STIC:STIC IV (2015) - "Design et fabrication de kits constructifs avec OpenSCAD"
- fr:STIC:STIC III (2016) - Design of group support tools with laser cutting
- fr:STIC:STIC IV (2017) - Computerized embroidery for change.
In addition, we organized and or participated in some workshops with either kids or teachers, for example: