Ricoo T538B heat press
The Ricoo T538B heat press is a heat press suitable for various transfer prints, e.g. hotfix stones, sublimation print, or various "iron on" plastics. TECFA received this model on October 18, 2017. Below, a picture of the first interesting "print" in progress and you can see more pictures in the hotfix stone article.
1.1 Model price and specifications
- Model: Schwenk Transfer Presse T Shirt Druck selber machen T538
- We bought it for 340€ + 21€ Shipping on Amazon.de and the list price is higher.
Specifications and parts
- It has a swivel swing arm which seems to be safer to use and more practical for this type of work.
- 38 x 38 cm (15) print area
- It has springs (probably better for the distribution of pressure) and a Svivel system (easier positioning of the cloth plus materials and probably better protection against burns).
- A fat black mat
- Digital temperature (0-399 C) and timer setting (0-999 seconds)
- Heat plate can be moved up or down (5cm distance max.)
- 26 kg
There are three different control interface variants according to the manual. We got version II (picture shown below).
1.2 First impressions
This models fits the requirements we outlined in the Hotfix stone article.
At the time of writing we did three hotfix stone (strass) prints. All went well and the interface is easy to understand. By default, the temperature is already set to 200C and the timer to 10 seconds (that we changed to 20 seconds). I have no idea if this machine is of professional quality, but it certainly beats applying stuff with an iron and I am happy with the results so far. I do appreciate that pressure (i.e. distance) can be very easily changed and that there are springs and a fat big mat that should distribute it evenly.
Although the machine takes up a lot of space I recommend that type of model for working with hotfix stones. I did manage to print designs with SS20 and SS16 stones that I directly put on the t-shirt using a laser cut cardboard template. No transfer sheet, just some baking paper on top :)
I have seen large price differences for this machine. Ordering from Germany to France for use in Switzerland went fast and smoothly. It was packed in a big carboard box and stabilized by two solid packing foam elements.
This applies to variant II
- The machine should stand very stable on its four feet
- Ajust the knobs below and make sure that it does not wobble
- By default, after unpacking the temperature was to 200C which is just fine
OKonce - you should see P1-1 on the screen
- Use the up/down buttons to change
- Press OK once if you want to change the timer or twice to exit
Change Temperature display from C to F (or the other way round):
OKfor 5 seconds - You should see P-3 on the screen
- Press up or down arrow and confirm with OK for 5 seconds
OKtwice - you should see P-2
- Adjust with up/down buttons. We set our default to 20 seconds.
- Press OK to confirm
- You can test the duration by pressing
- Is purely mechanical, i.e. electronics will not tell anything.
- Before heating, test if the lever can be pulled down and at the same time offers some resistance (i.e. really applies some pressure but not too much). Test with objects in place, e.g. textile, cooking paper, some rhinestones.
- Adjust with the big knob on top of the vertical arm.
- Do no heat over 220C
- Tell people around you to be careful
- To not open the svivel arm 180 degress (it becomes a bit unstable)
2.2 Standard use
1. Move the heating platform out of the way, then add some baking paper
2. Put the cloth
3. Add stones on top.
4. If your design looks good, add some baking paper again on top
5. Wwitch the machine on. Wait until you hear the alarm for reaching the full temperature (it is also on display), Then svivel the plate in place and press down. The timer will automatically start after the lever is pressed down. Wait for the alarm to open (e.g. after 10 to 20 seconds according to your settings).
In other words, you won't have to do much if you are happy with your settings.
- When you press down, do not move laterally. Down means vertically down.
- Let the stones cool down after opening. Do not try to pull anything away. The glue will still be wet !
- Put the machine near a corner of a table. That way heat will not reflect on the table in open position. See the picture below.
- Do not burn the electric cable. Make that it goes down straight.
Remove the the electric cable before any maintenance work !
The heating plate on top is teflon coated and should neither scratched with powder, brushes, etc. nor alcohol, benzine and other solvants. Use a mild detergent and a soft cloth.
The bottom silicone mat can be pulled off and the sticky rests can be scratched away. The new one should be glued with heat resistant glue, pressed down gently and left alone for 24h.
- Schwenk Transfer Presse T Shirt Druck selber machen T538 (Product Page)
- Manual Operations manual in German)