“Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is an extension of Mediawiki – the wiki application best known for powering Wikipedia – that helps to search, organise, tag, browse, evaluate, and share the wiki's content. While traditional wikis contain only text which computers can neither understand nor evaluate, SMW adds semantic annotations that allow a wiki to function as a collaborative database. Semantic MediaWiki was first released in 2005, and currently has over ten developers, and is in use on hundreds of sites. In addition, a large number of related extensions have been created that extend the ability to edit, display and browse through the data stored by SMW: the term "Semantic MediaWiki" is sometimes used to refer to this entire family of extensions. Semantic MediaWiki has been funded in part by projects of the Framework Programmes (FP) of the European Union, SEKT and ACTIVE and by project Halo.” (Introduction to Semantic MediaWiki, retrieved 14:31, 24 August 2011 (CEST))
According to Semantic MediaWiki, “is currently in active use in hundreds of sites, in many languages, around the world, including Fortune 500 companies, biomedical projects, government agencies and consumer directories”.
See also: Semantic Forms
Syntax extensions for Semantic MediaWiki
Properties with values
By default the value of a property like is a is a page, therefore we can have typed links
MediaWiki [[is a:: Wiki]]
The Swiss Grading scale goes from 0 to [[grading scale:=6]]
Semantic MediaWiki software
Download and Installation
Tested for MW 1.17 on 18:48, 24 August 2011 (CEST).
- Download SMW from Sourceforge. As of Aug 2011, the latest version is 1.6.1.
- You first need to install the Validator extension ! Download of Validator is included in the SMW download (when last checked)
- (short) Installation instructions for SMW 1.6.1. Also read the Administrator manual, and in particular Help:Configuration
- PHP requirements
The mbstrings non-default extension must be installed.
Under Ubuntu 10+, it should be there, but check:
php --info | grep mbstring
- Configure LocalSettings.php (mandatory)
$smwgNamespaceIndex = 106; // on top of others, adjust to yours require_once( "$IP/extensions/Validator/Validator.php" ); include_once( "$IP/extensions/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki.php" ); enableSemantics('edutechwiki.unige.ch'); // adjust to yours
- Configure options in LocalSettings.php (there are many many!)
$smwgShowFactbox = SMW_FACTBOX_NONEMPTY;
- Setup the database
- Press the (first) button in Special:SMWAdmin
Create a page like:
Then enter something like:
Testing - adding a property called "testproperty" with value [[testproperty::SandBox]]
Upgrading to 1.7
Tested with MW 18.1
cd extensions/SemanticMediaWiki/maintenance php SMW_setup.php
Semantic MediaWiki extensions
- Extension:Semantic Forms is an extension to Semantic MediaWiki that allows users to add, edit and query structure data using forms.
- Installed in this wiki, see also: Semantic Forms
- Semantic Result Formats is a Semantic MediaWiki extension that bundles a number of further result formats for SMW's inline queries. It supports formats such as graphing, plotting, timelines, etc. Examples:
- Semantic Watchlist extends Semantic MediaWiki by adding the capability to watch/follow sets of properties for groups of pages (that can be specified with categories and namespaces).
- Surveys extension (provisional SVN URL)
- Support for RDF triplestores (via SPARQL)
SMW packaged services and distributions
- SMW+ is a prepackaged version of MediaWiki/Semantic Wiki described as "semantic enterprise wiki that lets you create and share knowledge with your team." Both a free version and a pro version are available.
Official other important SMW sites
- SMW - Semantic MediaWiki
- SMW Community Wiki
- Referata (wiki hosting site plus support materials)
Manuals and introductions
See also: User manual, which includes additional links
- User manual (Entry page)
- Admin manual (Entry page)
- At SMW Community Wiki
- Mediawiki and Semantic MediaWiki tutorial.pdf (Spring 2011 SMWCon)
- Applied SMW by Jesse Wang et al. (Spring 2011 SMWCon)
- Semantic MediaWiki (Wikipedia)
- Semantic MediaWiki vs. Sharepoint at Wikiworks.com
- blog (Jeroen De Dauw, a SWM key developer, interesting posts)
- Semantic MediaWiki page at TechPresentations.org (includes some slides, etc.)
- New York Semantic Web Meetup (last updated 2010, includes pointers to events)
- SMW overview (short intro, referring to tables)
- SMWCon also known as the Semantic MediaWiki Conference, is a twice-yearly gathering for users, developers and enthusiasts of Semantic MediaWiki,
Semantic MediaWiki sites
- Indexes (most listed sites are not really maintained)
- Sites using Semantic MediaWiki (Index)
- Testimonials (not many)
- Some good/interesting technical examples
- Gardenology.org - Plant & Garden Wiki Encyclopedia
- food finds
- SNPedia, a wiki investigating human genetics.
- Swiss Experimnet, A platform to enable real-time environmental experiments through wireless sensor networks and a common, modern, generic cyber-infrastructure.
- AcaWiki enables you to easily post summaries and literature reviews of peer-reviewed research
- AIFB Web Portal, at Institute of Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods (AIFB) at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. (Includes prime contributors to the Semantic MediaWiki code).
- Dengler, Frank and Hans-Jörg Happel. 2010. Collaborative modeling with semantic MediaWiki. In Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration (WikiSym '10). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 23 , 2 pages. DOI=10.1145/1832772.1832802 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1832772.1832802
- García, R. R., Gil, R. R., Gimeno, J. M., Granollers, T. T., López, J. M., Oliva, M. M., & Pascual, A. A. (2010). Semantic wiki for quality management in software development projects. IET Software, 4(6), 386-395. doi:10.1049/iet-sen.2010.0044
- Krötzsch, Markus; Denny Vrandecic, Max Völkel, Heiko Haller, Rudi Studer. korrekt:Semantic Wikipedia (JWS2007)|Semantic Wikipedia. Journal of Web Semantics 5/2007, pp. 251–261. Elsevier 2007.
- Herzig, Daniel M. and Basil Ell: Semantic MediaWiki in Operation: Experiences with Building a Semantic Portal. Proceedings of the 9th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC-10). Springer 2010. PDF
- Millard, Ian, Afraz Jaffri, H. Glaser, and UB. Rodriguez-Castro. Using a Semantic MediaWiki to Interact with a Knowledge Based Infrastructure, International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management, Podebrady, Czech Republic, 2006.
- Krötzsch. M and D. Vrandecic. Wikipedia and the Semantic Web, part 2, Second International Wikimedia Conference, Wikimania2006, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Krötzsch. M, D. Vrandecic, M. Völkel, H. Haller, and R. Studer. Semantic Wikipedia (ESWC2006 demo), European Semantic Web Conference, ESWC2006, Budva, Montenegro. Best Poster Award.
- Völkel. M, M. Krötzsch, D. Vrandecic, H. Haller, R. Studer. Semantic Wikipedia, presented at WWW2006
- Krötzsch. M, D. Vrandecic, and M. Völkel (2005) Wikipedia and the Semantic Web - The Missing Links, First International Wikimedia Conference, Wikimania2005, Frankfurt, Germany.
- Vrandecic, Denny; Yaron Koren, Daniel Kinzler (2011). Towards a Semantic Wikipedia, Open submission for Wikimania 2011. (Abstract only)