Idea manager can mean several things:
- In the context of general idea production and management
An Idea manager is a tool that allows you to write down ideas, to find them again, to organized them and to display some sort of structure.
“[..] it should be easy to quickly take down a sketch of your idea and to make sure you will find this idea again later - even if you don't exactly know yet how this new idea relates to your other ideas.” (IdeaManager, retrieved 11:08, 11 May 2007 (MEST))
- In the context of innovation (organizational learning, etc.)
Idea manager is a tool for the management of ideas in an organization.
“Idea management is the practice of gathering and evaluating ideas in a structured fashion, with a goal of selecting the best ideas with the greatest bottom-line potential for implementation.” (Idea ManagementResource Center, retrieved 11:08, 11 May 2007 (MEST)) See also: knowledge management
2 Typology of idea management tools
Here is a provisional list
- (augmented) reference managers, some (like bibliographix include idea management).
- note taking tools
- concept maps (including mind maps).
- Centralizer software like webtops can help to organize your productions in various social software applications
- writing tools are applications to produce text (therefore sometimes idea managers). I wonder if the two articles should be merged - Daniel K. Schneider.
- Specialized knowledge management tools (and of course the same non-specialized tools that KM may use).
other than listed in more special articles only (none tested, no endorsement. In addition categorization below is bad !)
- Haystack universal information client.
3.2 Through the web editing
- KnowledgeRoot s a knowledge base system that lets you structure your content in a tree. It integrates FCKeditor to make adding content easy. Knowledgeroot use PHP and MySQL or PostgreSQL (can be included into the WOS WAMP server.
- None, but see the Typology of idea management tools
- Cheap Commercial
- Web Idea Tree (WIT). Outline your ideas in a tree, add content (text, images or links), choose a style template, and let WIT create HTML pages. (25 Euro).
3.5 Tools for organizations
(commercial, high price usually)
- Research & Development
- Haystack Project.The M.I.T. Haystack Project is investigating approaches designed to let people manage their information in ways that make the most sense to them.
- See also the related  who created a number of interesting and free tools, e.g. Exhibit (see above) and Timeline.
- Idea ManagementResource Center. Articles an resources