<pageby nominor="false" comments="false"/>
1 Introduction and abstract
This is a resource and follow-up page for a talk given at the Dokeos Users Day 2008.
- Is there a future for learning management systems ? (Keynote)
- Daniel K. Schneider
- TECFA – FPSE - Université de Genève
- Dokeos Users Day – Geneva – December 4 2008
Abstract: Since the emergence of learning management systems (LMS) in the 1960's we have seen many trends. They usually last for about 15 years before they become unpopular, disappear, and then reappear 15 years later in a different form. Internet-based e-learning technology is a synthesis of the 1970's Computer-Based-Training (CBT) and the 1980's Networked Classroom and it is now 13 years old. Statistically speaking, it is almost time to disappear and there are reasons. For example: Today's e-learning systems cannot cope with recent advances in learning design and computer-supported collaborative learning; they represent the antithesis of personal learning environments which are now in strong demand; their authoring model doesn't fit participatory web 2.0 media culture; IMS content packaging standards clash with modern collaborative document production technology. In addition, most LMSs are based on shaky APIs, offer low usability and cannot integrate with modern service-oriented architectures. So, what could be the future of systems like Dokeos ?
(available under the default by-nc-sa CC license)
Important notice: This wiki is about Educational Technology (instructional technology) and related fields. It's a resource tool for educational technology teaching and research. Materials may be useful to teachers, instructional designers, e-learning consultants, etc., but it's not the main purpose of this site ...
- Instructional design models and pedagogies
- Pedagogic strategy
- Instructional design model
- Pedagogical scenario
- Various Pedagogic_strategies (index) and Instructional design models (index), e.g. Community of learning, Project-oriented teaching, Writing-to-learn, (... many more ...)
- E-learning (old style) and its formats
- e-learning, Learning object, ...
- E.g. IMS Content Packaging, SCORM 1.2, Learning Object Metadata Standard, ....
- Big players: IMS and SCORM
- Educational modeling languages
- Educational modeling languages (index), Educational modelling language (overview)
- E.g. IMS Learning Design, IMS Simple Sequencing, Collaborative learning flow pattern.
- Educational technologies (index)
- Examples of learning design platforms
- Portalware (index),
- Portalware overview, Learning management systems, ...
- Wikis. to see this wiki in education see Courses and workshops or better (if you speak french) Accueil Edutechwiki français (top right).
- Personal learning environments and e-portfolios
- Web 2.0
- Technical: web 2.0, AJAX, web widget, digital identity, ...
- Webtops, e.g. Pageflakes, ...
- Rich internet applications: e.g. e-learning 2.0, virtual office, list of web 2.0 applications, social software, ...
- SOA-based frameworks