1 Monday part one
- Guest lecture on security by Claude Chaudet
2 Monday part two
- Plugin installation and configuration continued
- Each student should identify the need for a plugin that will add some interactivity. See also homework project number 4.
3 Wednesday part one
- Guest lecture on trust and reputation by Jean-Marc Seigneur
4 Wednesday part two - Short mid term exam
The exam will last for 40 minutes. As requested, it will require you to edit a file. You are allowed to use the Internet. The main difficulty will be finishing it in time !!
Exam topics (I will pick among the following items):
- Creation of simple tables with integer and string fields
- Inserting data into a single table with INSERT
- Retrieving data with a WHERE CLAUSE
- Killing a table
- Defining a new user with all privileges for a database
(2) PHP (understand hw 2 code)
- Assignments (creating a variable)
- Associative arrays (e.g. $_POST)
- Function definitions and calls
- Super global variables ($_POST)
- if-then-else clauses
- Foreach loops
- String concatenation that includes variables
- Finding information obtained with phpinfo();
- Finding a definition in the online manual
- Creating instances and using methods
(3) Web servers
- Configuration files for Apache and PHP (including finding "how to")
- Log files (where are they ?)
5 Homework 4 (week 5)
Please write a comparative evaluation report for a plugin family.
- Select a functionality that you need in your term project and look for Wordpress plugins. Remember that the term project requires strong interactivity, e.g. consider surveys, e-commerce systems, reservation systems, product reputation modules, forums, etc.
- Find reviews on the Internet and identify the best candidates
- Install at least two candidates (per candidate) and test these
- Identify a list of plugin evaluation criteria that are important in your opinion (also check how the others did their reviews) and use them.
- In this deliverable, summarize both information from the reviews (Cite) and your own experience
Make sure :
- that this document is useful and understandable to anyone that is somewhat familiar with portalware installations (Include an introduction that explains the purpose of your portal and a conclusion that summarized your findings)
- To look at other product reviews and cite them
- Test and compare at least 2 plugins (of the same kind)
- Define, justify/discuss criteria and use them
- Include links to various software used.
- Self-evaluate your report (what is missing, what could be improved if you had more resources to do it).
- This homework counts double, i.e. the same as two homework
- Upload to the Worldclassroom before Wednesday, week 6, 8:50am.
PS: No report about the report is required. However, you could shortly describe in your report how you made it, i.e add some sort of "methods" section.