1 Week 4 learning goals
- Initial configuration of WordPress
- Theme selection
- Relational dabase principles, including looking at the table structure of Wordpress (if time left)
- (more .... TBA)
2 Monday Part I
... finishing the basic installation, preparation of next steps
2.1 Hands on- Worpress installation
- In principle, each participant does have a running wordpress
- Wrong database name
- Wrong database user and/or password name
- file permissions (will happen when you move to a provider, change permissions)
Your web server and PHP configuration may have "low values" for execution time, memory use and upload file size. In particular, if you work with a slow USB stick, installation procedures may require more time. You can edit these values in the configuration files that you can get in the XAMPP console:
- Not enough memory for PHP (php.ini)
- memory_limit = 256M
- Not enough execution time, often due to slow memory stick/computer. You may need as much as 600 seconds)
- max_execution_time = 600
- File upload size must be changed in both Apache and PHP in in several places, e.g. see this stackoverflow Q/A
2.2 Hands on - Selecting themes and configuring the layout
- Think about your term project
- Selecting the the (skin) should be based on several criteria, at least: usefulness, usability and appropriate looks.
- Discussion about User experience and user experience design
- Explore various WordPress sites, e.g. from https://wordpress.org/showcase/
Things to do in class (ask your neighbor or the instructor for help)
- Select a theme: Dashboard -> Appearance -> Themes
- Please configure the theme, including a picture: Use the "Customize your Side" link from the Dashboard.
- Add two static pages and make sure that they show up in a menu
- Add two stories.
- Add an Atom/RSS widget: Dashboard -> Appearance - Widgets
3 Wednesday Part I - Term project and web hosting
- 10 minutes catch-up for Monday hands-on activity: Theme installed, configured, pages created, menu changed.
3.1 Hands on - Identify a provisional project
Short discussion of term project ideas
3.2 PHP/MySQL/Apache hosting
Be prepared to move you sever from the USB stick to a hosting company (ca. week 6 or 7)
Contents moved: See week 6 program
3.3 A very short introduction to relational databases
- Relations between tables (Wiki article)
- WordPress Database description (see the picture) and Tour of the WordPress Database (by Iain, 2015, includes a more understandable list of tables and fields and a better schema)
4 Wednesday part II - WordPress plugins
4.1 Using WordPress plugins
- Plugins (Codex.wordpress)
- Managing Plugins (in particular, read installing plugins)
- Official WordPress Plugins Repository
4.2 Hands on - installing a picture gallery
(1) Installation steps
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for "gallery" or "photo gallery"
- Install one gallery plugin. Before you do so, click on "more details" !
There exist many comparisons on the web, e.g. read 8 of the Best Gallery WordPress Plugins Compared
(2) Create a gallery and make it available
- Create a gallery and a few pictures (at least 2)
- Create a page that includes a gallery. Usually, a gallery can be added through the HTML editor
(3) Compare with your fellow students
- Is the plugin intuitive ?
- Is it useful with respect to your needs ?
- How many other people installed this ? What are the ratings ?
- Is the documentation well done and easy to find ?
4.3 Hands on - installing another plugin
- Find, install and configure another plugin of interest.