Adventure Academy is a commercial gamified massive multi-user online virtual learning environment for US 3rd to 6th graders (ages 8-13) made by Age of Learning Inc. It completes ABCmouse that targets a younger audience and was introduced in April, 2019.
- Starfall, a free alternative
According to an edSurge post, development of this platform cost over 100 Mio $ and involved around 250 developers. It includes “[...] visual and design elements comparable to what one might expect from a mainstream online game—including customizable avatars, live chat and an explorable open world [...]”. The design of this world can be compared to MMORPGs.
According to the official announcement, the platform includes the following features: Adventure Academy includes these key features:
- Thousands of learning activities across hundreds of topics in language, math, science, social studies, and arts.
- Curriculum-based games, books, ther types of reading materials, educational videos, and additional interactive experiences
- Personalisation, gamification, interaction: Learners create avatars to explore an ever-expanding world, complete learning quests to unlock new zones, and interact with other learners.
- Subscription-based service, i.e. $10/month (we do not know how difficult or easy) cancelling would be.
- Safety filters and parental control
- Introducing Adventure Academy™, the World’s First Educational Massively Multiplayer Online Game
- Age of Learning’s Latest Is a $100 Million Educational Game By Tony Wan and Wade Tyler Millward May 1, 2019