According to Wikipedia (retrieved oct 2017): “Inkscape is a free and open-source vector graphics editor; it can be used to create or edit vector graphics such as illustrations, diagrams, line arts, charts, logos and complex paintings. Inkscape's primary vector graphics format is Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), however many other formats can be imported and exported.Inkscape can render primitive vector shapes (e.g. rectangles, ellipses, polygons, arcs, spirals, stars and 3D boxes) and text. These objects may be filled with solid colors, patterns, radial or linear color gradients and their borders may be stroked, both with adjustable transparency. Embedding and optional tracing of raster graphics is also supported, enabling the editor to create vector graphics from photos and other raster sources. Created shapes can be further manipulated with transformations, such as moving, rotating, scaling and skewing”
In this wiki we only address three very specific subjects:
- Using Inkscape for web animation
- Using Inkscape for laser cutting
- InkStitch, an extension to create Computerized embroidery
- Tutorial advanced shows tips and tricks to edit and to simplify drawings
- Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program by Tavmjong Bah. This is a free online version of the Inkscape: Guide to a Vector Drawing Program, 4th Edition Print Book or Ebook
- The Mastering Inkscape in 2018: what’s best among books, courses, and tutorials, by Alexandre Prokoudine 27. Feb, 2018 comments lists a number of other alternatives, but also points out Tavmjong Bah online and print book as the best resource.