- For some, ubiquitous learning (or u-learning) is equivalent to some form of simple mobile learning, e.g. that learning environments can be accessed in various contexts and situations.
However, DSchneider thinks that u-learning R&D programs more ambitious. E.g. according to Ogata & Yano (2003) based on Chen (2002) and Curtis (2002), the main characteristics of ubiquitous learning are the following:
See also: ubiquitous computing
Yeonjeong Park (2011) illustrates the conceptual shifts from e-learning to m-learning then to u-learning with the following figure:
- Research on Ubiquitous CSCL, Project lead by Hiroaki Ogata.
2.2 Research consortia
- Bomsdorf, Birgit, Adaptation of Learning Spaces: Supporting Ubiquitous Learning in Higher Distance Education, Dagstuhl Seminar Proceedings 05181, Mobile Computing and Ambient Intelligence: The Challenge of Multimedia, Abstract/PDF
- Chen, Y.S., Kao, T.C., Sheu, J.P., and Chiang, C.Y.:A Mobile Scaffolding-Aid-Based Bird -Watching Learning System, Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies in Education (WMTE'02), pp.15-22, IEEE Computer Society Press, 2002.
- Curtis, M., Luchini, K., Bobrowsky, W., Quintana, C., and Soloway, E.: Handheld Use in K-12: A Descriptive Account, Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies in Education (WMTE'02), pp.23-30, IEEE Computer Society Press, 2002.
- Guozhen Zhang; Qun Jin; Shih, T.K. (200). Peer-to-peer based social interaction tools in ubiquitous learning environment, Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2005. Proceedings. 11th International Conference on Volume 1, 20-22 July 2005 Page(s):230 - 236 Vol. 1 (Access restricted).
- Hiroaki Ogata and Yoneo Yano, Context-Aware Support for Computer Supported Ubiquitous Learning, IEEE WMTE2004, pp.27-34, Taiwan, March 23-25, 2004. PDF Preprint.
- Li, L., Zheng, Y., Ogata, H., and Yano, Y.: A conceptual Framework of Computer-Supported Ubiquitous Learning Environment, International Journal of Advanced Technology for Learning.
- Li, L., Zheng, Y., Ogata, H., and Yano, Y.: Ubiquitous Computing in Learning: Toward a Conceptual Framework of Ubiquitous Learning Environment, Int’l J. of Pervasive Comp. and Comm.
- Park, Yeonjeong (2011) A pedagogical framework for mobile learning: Categorizing educational applications of mobile technologies into four types IRRODL,Vol. 12, No. 2. HTML