Learning objects repositories
This entry lists various well known learning objects repositories. See the learning object repository article for a definition.
General learning objects repositories
(some entries below need to be moved, since they are not real repositories)
- LeMill is a web community of 3237 teachers and other learning content creators. At the moment LeMill has 1479 reusable learning content resources, 298 descriptions of teaching and learning methods, and 481 descriptions of teaching and learning tools. (nov 2008)
- Openstax (formerly Connexions) Quote: “There are tens of thousands of learning objects, called pages, that are organized into thousands of textbook-style books in a host of disciplines, all easily accessible online and downloadable to almost any device, anywhere, anytime.” Already in 2011, connexions was a collection of free scholarly materials. Interdisciplinary and grassroots contribution of over 19282 reusable modules woven into 1163 collections. (checked, April 2019)
- CLOE Co-operative Learning Object exchange (Login required)
- La main à la pate, Activity-based science teaching for primary and secondary schools.
- MIT Open Courseware (OCW). A free and open educational resource for educators, students, and self-learners around the world.
- VCILT Learning objects repository, a multi-purpose repository from our friends at VCILT, University of Mauritius.
- Ariadne A European Association open to the World, for Knowledge Sharing and Reuse.
- CAREO, a project supported by Alberta Learning and CANARIE that has as its primary goal the creation of a searchable, Web-based collection of multidisciplinary teaching materials for educators across the province and beyond.
- Carnegie Mellon's Open Learning Initiative (OLI), A collection of "cognitively informed," openly available and free online courses and course materials that enact instruction for an entire course in an online format.
- Commonwealth of learning Learning Object Repository, An online database of learning content that provides software to Commonweath countries.
- Educational Object Economy Lots of Java applets
- GEM Gateway to Education Materials (in particular lesson plans)
- LOLA Learning Objects and Learning Activities (all kinds, but focus on information literacy)
- MERLOT (specialized in microworlds)
- The Orange Grove, Florida's repository project.
To help teachers design learning activities themselves, there exist design pattern websites.
Specialized learning objects repositories
- Problem-based learning clearninghouse, University of Delaware (free, registration required)
- Problem-based Learning, Examples from McMaster University courses by P.K. Rangachari
- Berklee Shares Free music lessons
A list of sites that index repositories and/or contents
- Ariadne Knowledge Pool. Provides a search engine for better know repositories.
- ibiblio, Home to one of the largest "collections of collections" on the Internet, ibiblio.org is a conservancy of freely available information, including software, music, literature, art, history, science, politics, and cultural studies.
- DLORN, Distributed LEarning Object Respository Network, one-stop source for learning object syndication. They retrieve learning object metadata from across the web and store it.
- World Lecture Hall, Probably the Web's oldest collection, still active.
- EduResources Portal--a Gateway to Higher Education Instructional Resources (A Wiki including a variety of useful pointers)
Repositories associated with an on-line environment
- Latest state-of-the-art tools like CeLS integrate scenario building, scenario execution and exchange of these (or bricks) within a single environment. The [DialogPlus Toolkit]] integrates scenario building and sharing, but contents have to be executed in an other environment.
- Other modern tools (like LAMS) provide specialized repositories where people can share LAMS modules
- eduCourse (Canadian Network Learning Object Repositories)
- CanCore documents and prestations
- UNESCO Open Educational Resources
- LO Repositories
- LO Initiative
- LO information, Tools, Standards and Repositories
- LO Keyword Search Page
- LO Portal
- LO Introduction
- Finding LO
- Examples of Learning Objects and Learning Object Repositories