An educational dashboard summarizes and visualizes various information that can be useful to support the learner in the learning process and the teacher in the teaching process.
2 Learner Feedback(Jonassen, Peck, & Wilson, 1999:22 cited by Keengwe et al., 2008).
3 Teacher Dashboards
“A challenging task for most, if not all instructors, is the task of trying to gauge student interest and learning during the course of a lecture. Under current approaches, it is very difficult to understand how well the students are grasping the lecture while the lecture is in progress.” (Peiper, 2009).
Brown et al. (2006), within the framework of the Open Learning Initiative implemented an Instructor Digital Dashboard.(Brown et al., 2006)
4 Knowledge organization cockpits(Naezmi et al., 2012
5 Simulation and laboratory cockpits
The eMersion project aims at providing a Web-based environment that supports hands-on experimentation through remote manipulation of physical laboratory devices and/or computer simulation tools. “We have developed the Cockpit environment, which is currently used in Automatic Control, Fluid Mechanics and Biomechanics courses at the School of Engineering, EPFL. The environment provides the student with the possibility to carry out experimentation in a flexible way, i.e. students can follow different learning modalities (Sire, Nguyen & Gillet 2003) to perform multi-session experiments.” (Nguyen, 2004)
... to do ....
- Social Networking
- Bajzek, D., Brown, W., Lovett, M. & Rule, G. (2007). Inventing the Digital Dashboard for Learning. In C. Montgomerie & J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2007 (pp. 1084-1092). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. http://www.editlib.org/p/25512
- Brown, W.E., Lovett, M., Bajzek, D. & Burnette, J.M. (2006). Improving the Feedback Cycle to Improve Learning in Introductory Biology Using the Digital Dashboard. In T. Reeves & S. Yamashita (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2006 (pp. 1030-1035). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. http://www.editlib.org/p/23841
- Campbell, D., Cook, K.J., Kusch, B. & Moulton, S. (2009). Inspiring Learning and Teaching: Using e-tools to Facilitate Change. In T. Bastiaens et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2009 (pp. 172-181). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. http://www.editlib.org/p/32454
- Ferguson, R., Buckingham Shum, S. and Deakin Crick, R. (2011). EnquiryBlogger – Using widgets to support awareness and reflection in a PLE setting. In W. Reinhardt, & T. D. Ullmann (Eds.), 1st Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Personal Learning Environments, PLE 2011 Conference, UK. Eprint: http://oro.open.ac.uk/30598
- Dawson, S. (2009). ‘Seeing’ the learning community: An exploration of the development of a resource for monitoring online student networking. British Journal of Educational Technology, 41(5), 736-752
- Dyckhoff, A. L., Zielke, D., Bültmann, M., Chatti, M. A., & Schroeder, U. (2012). Design and Implementation of a Learning Analytics Toolkit for Teachers. Educational Technology & Society, 15 (3), 58–76. http://www.ifets.info/journals/15_3/5.pdf
- Gillet, D. et al. (2003). Cockpit: An effective metaphor for Web-based Experimentation in Engineering Education. International Journal of Engineering Education. Vol. 19, No. 3, p. 389-397.
- Jonassen, D.H., Peck, K.L., & Wilson, B.G. (1999) Learning with technology: A constructive perspective. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Keengwe, J., Onchwari, G. & Wachira, P. (2008). The Use of Computer Tools to Support Meaningful Learning. AACE Journal, 16(1), 77-92. http://www.editlib.org/p/23647
- Govaerts, S., K. Verbert, J. Klerkx, E. Duval (2010). Visualizing Activities for Self-reflection and Awareness, The 9th International Conference on Web-based Learning, ICWL 2010, Springer, Lecture Notes on Computer Science. Available at https://lirias.kuleuven.be/handle/123456789/283362.
- Nazemi, K., Breyer, M., Burkhardt, D. & Fellner, D. (2010). Visualization Cockpit: Orchestration of Multiple Visualizations for Knowledge-Exploration. International Journal of Advanced Corporate Learning (iJAC), 3(4), 26-34. assel university press GmbH.
- Nguyen, A.V., Gillet, D. & Sire, S. (2004). Sustaining Collaboration within a Learning Community in Flexible Engineering Education. In L. Cantoni & C. McLoughlin (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2004 (pp. 1214-1221). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. http://www.editlib.org/p/12628
- Pagliano, O., Brown, W., Rule, G. & Bajzek, D. (2007). Improving Animation Tutorials by Integrating Simulation, Assessment, and Feedback to Promote Active Learning. In T. Bastiaens & S. Carliner (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2007 (pp. 144-150). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. http://www.editlib.org/p/26317
- Peiper, C.E. (2008). A teacher's dashboard: Monitoring students in Tablet PC classroom settings. Ph.D. thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Schifter, C., Natarajan, U., Ketelhut, D.J., Carey, M. & Ryu, M. (2013). Data Driven Decision Making: Facilitating teachers’ use of Student Data to change classroom instruction. In R. McBride & M. Searson (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2013 (pp. 2945-2950). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. http://www.editlib.org/p/48539
- Simeon J. Simoff and Mary Lou Maher. Analysing participation in collaborative design environments. Design Studies, 21(2):119-144, 2000.
- Soller, A.,A. Martinez, P. Jermann, and M.Muehlenbrock (2005). From Mirroring to Guiding: A Review of State of the Art Technology for Supporting Collaborative Learning. Int. J. Artif. Intell. Ed. 15, 4 261-290.
- Soller, A., A. Martinez, P. Jermann, and M. Muehlenbrock (2004). From Mirroring to Guiding: A Review of State of the Art Technology for Supporting Collaborative Learning. ITS 2004 Workshop on Computational Models of Collaborative Learning, Retrieved, April 12 2012 from http://www.cscl-research.com/Dr/ITS2004Workshop/proceedings.pdf