Self-directed learning/Self-Directed Learning Instrument (SDLI)
The Self-Directed Learning Instrument (SDLI) was developed by Cheng (2010) to measure the self-directed learning (SDL) abilities of nursing students. In our opinion it also could be used in other domains, e.g. computing students.
2 The scale
Based on Shen (2014).
Learning motivation (LM)
- 1. I know what I need to learn.
- 2. Regardless of the results or effectiveness of my learning, I still like learning.
- 3. I strongly hope to constantly improve and excel in my learning.
- 4. My successes and failures inspire me to continue learning.
- 5. I enjoy finding answers to questions
- 6. I will not give up learning because I face some difficulties.
Planning and implementing (PI)
- 7. I can pro-actively establish my learning goals.
- 8. I know what learning strategies are appropriate for me in reaching my learning goals.
- 9. I set the priorities of my learning.
- 10. Whether in the clinical practicum, classroom or on my own, I am able to follow my own plan of learning.
- 11. I am good at arranging and controlling my learning time.
- 12. I know how to find resources for my learning.
- 13. I can connect new knowledge with my own personal experiences.
- 14. I understand the strengths and weakness of my learning.
- 15. I can monitor my learning progress.
- 16. I can evaluate on my own my learning outcomes.
Interpersonal communication (IC)
- 17. My interaction with others helps me plan for further learning.
- 18. I would like to learn the language and culture of those whom I frequently interact with.
- 19. I am able to express messages effectively in oral presentations.
- 20. I am able to communicate messages effectively in writing
- Cheng, S. F., Kuo, C. L., Lin, K. C., & Lee-Hsieh, J. (2010). Development and preliminary testing of a self-rating instrument to measure self-directed learning ability of nursing students. International journal of nursing studies, 47(9), 1152-1158.
- Shen, W. Q., Chen, H. L., & Hu, Y. (2014). The validity and reliability of the self-directed learning instrument (SDLI) in mainland Chinese nursing students. BMC medical education, 14(1), 1.