3 Implementation principles and status
Gridcole is a prototype and work in progress.
According to the "GRID based services for flexible design of applications" project home page, some recent objectives were to solve several problems that arise in educational software and especially in distributed systems that support computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL). Among them:
- Software reuse, as well as tailorability to particular educator's requirements,
- The opportunity for creating new scenarios requiring the use of specific hardware or with supercomputational needs,
- The design of structured activities with the support of collaborative learning flow pattern (CFLP)s,
- The use of standards, both in the educational software (IMS-LD for learning designs) and in the field of service-based technologies (OGSA, Web Services).
- Bote-Lorenzo, Miguel L.; Yannis A. Dimitriadis and Eduardo G. Gómez-Sanchez, (2003). Preprint to appear in School of Telecommunications Engineering, University of Valladolid. PDF, retrieved 12:28, 21 April 2008 (UTC).
- Bote-Lorenzo, M.L., Dimitriadis, Y., Gómez-Sánchez (2004), E. Grid characteristics and uses: a grid definition (Postproceedings extended and revised version) Proceedings of the First European Across Grids Conference, ACG'03, Springer-Verlag, LNCS 2970, 291-298, Santiago de Compostela, Spain, February 2004. PDF, retrieved 12:28, 21 April 2008 (UTC).
- Bote-Lorenzo, M.L., Gómez-Sánchez, E., Vega-Gorgojo, G., Dimitriadis, Y., Asensio-Pérez, J.I., Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2008). Gridcole: a tailorable grid service based system that supports scripted collaborative learning. Computers & Education 51(1):155-172,, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2007.05.004.
- Bote-Lorenzo, M.L., Hernández-Leo, D., Dimitriadis, Y., Asensio-Pérez, J.I., Gómez-Sánchez, E., Vega-Gorgojo, G., Vaquero-González, L.M. (2004). Towards Reusability and Tailorability in Collaborative Learning Systems Using IMS-LD and Grid Services, Advanced Technology for Learning. 1(3):129-138, September 2004. PDF, http://dx.doi.org/10.2316/Journal.208.2004.3.208-0810.