Xquery, XML Query Language, is a query language that uses the structure of XML intelligently can express queries across all these kinds of data, whether physically stored in XML or viewed as XML via middleware. In other words, you can use it to retrieve things from files, from XML representations made from SQL databases, from native XML databases like eXist. In addition, Xquery is quite a real programming language.
Xqupdate, (XQuery Update Facility) is a recent (2007) language for updating xml data. There is an older proposal, XUpdate
This is just a page with links.
- XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language (the central document). XQuery can only query (not update). There are some other parts, e.g.
- XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators
- XQuery Update Facility. (W3C Candidate Recommendation 09 June 2009)
- Xpath 2.0 is used both by XSLT 2.0 and XQuery. XQuery is an extension of XPath 2.0 and both XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 2.0 share the same data model.
- Xupdate. Not a W3C standard, can be used to update some XML databases (not updated since 2000 an will be replaced by XML Query Update). Xupdate looks a lot like XSLT.
See XQuery tutorial - basics !
- XQuery (Wikipedia article)
- XML:DB XUpdate Use Cases by Kimbro Staken. This document outlines a basic set of uses cases for the XUpdate specification from the XML:DB Initiative.
See also XQuery Engines, Processors, Providers at SQLSummit, retr. Jan 2010.
See XML database
- XQuery Engines, Processors, Providers A list of products by SQL Summit.com
- Zorba ships with a PHP language binding that provides some basic features in order to prepare and execute queries with Zorba (2013)
- SAXON XSLT and XQuery Processor. There is a free version. (works).
- XQEngine - XML Query Engine implements XQuery - sourceforge project.
- MXQuery. low-footprint, extensible XQuery Engine (Java). Includes support for update
- Galax. open-source implementation of XQuery 1.0.
- Safari Guide Safari Guide is a free application for Mac OS X Tiger that allows developers to evaluate arbitrary XPath and XQuery expressions against the current frontmost Safari webpage. [10/2005]
- XQuery USE ME (XqUSEme) Firefox add-on (based on Saxon-B, Java 1.6 update 12+ is needed). Tested, works as advertized. I used it when I teach some XQuery - Daniel K. Schneider 20:00, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
- XQIB XQuery in the browser (IE / FF 3.5, Windows) (Feb 2010). Not tested. May need administrator rights to install on Windows, security is not guaranteed...
XML Editors with XQuery support
See XML editor for a list of XML editors
Many, e.g. XML Exchanger lite.
- For eXist
- PheXist is a set of classes for PHP 5. (older version also for PHP4 & Perl) to query and manipulate XML documents in eXist XML:DB. (Version 0.5, april 2007). PHP 5 needs the soap extension enabled.
- MarkMail. Mailing list archive that stores messages in XML. Search (under the hood) is done with Xquery.
- XML Database Products by Ronald Bourret