SWOT Analysis, is a strategic planning tool used to evaluate the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats involved in a project.
- Specifying the objective of the project
- Identifying the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective.
Once an objective has been identified, one can analyze the four SWOT factors:
- Internal factors
- Strengths: attributes of the organization that are helpful to achieving the objective.
- Weaknesses: attributes of the organization that are harmful to achieving the objective.
- External factors
- Opportunities: external conditions that are helpful to achieving the objective.
- Threats: external conditions that are harmful to achieving the objective.
Furthermore, a SWOT Matrix (also called TOWS) can then identify strategies:
|S-O strategies: pursue opportunities that fit your strenght||W-O strategies: overcome weaknesses to pursue opportunities|
|S-T strategies: use strength to reduce weaknesses||W-T strategies: come up with a plan to defend against threats exploiting weaknesses|
2 In education
(needs to be written ...)
- To analyse large projects (e.g. technology or e-learning projects)
- To (self-) analyse person's potential
- General Introductions (business oriented)
- SWOT analysis (Wikipedia)
- SWOT Analysis Discover new opportunities. Manage and eliminate threat.
- SWOT Analysis, QuickMBA.
- swot analysis
- What is SWOT Analysis
- SWOT Analysis Examples
- SWOT for personal concerns
- Using a SWOT Analysis in Your Career Planning, by R. and K. Hansen.
- Related to education
- Lessons on E-Learning Strategy Development from the Cheshire Cat, by Lance Dublin (just mentionnes SWOT brievly).
- Strengths and weaknesses of e-learning history. A nice SWOT analysis of e-learning potential looking at its history.
- SWOT Analysis of Current ITS Academic Related Services, an example matrix of Ohio Technical Colledge.
- Bradford, Robert W., Duncan, Peter J., Tarcy, Brian, Simplified Strategic Planning: A No-Nonsense Guide for Busy People Who Want Results Fast!