This page just includes some notes.
1 Windows 10 notes
The main problem with Win10 is privacy. You may consider installing a tool,
- Read [http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/ Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft
It's no wonder that privacy activists are up in arms.], by Peter Bright (US) - Aug 13, 2015, Ars Technica.
- For tools, read Comparison of Windows 10 Privacy tools
2 Windows 8.1 notes
2.1 User Interface
The missing start menu
(rumoured to be back sometimes late 2014)
Win 8.1 doesn't have a start menu, i.e. you will have to find your program in the alphabetical list of "apps". There exist replacement programs, e.g.
- Classic Shell (opensource, freeware) - Tested and approved on my recent Win 8.1 Dell XPS-15 - Daniel K. Schneider (talk) 18:00, 8 July 2014 (CEST)
- Vistart (commercial)
- Start8 (commercial)
- Download StartIsBack (commercial)
- Pokki (freeware)
Read How to get the Start menu back in Windows 8 by Lance Whitney, CNET, May 27, 2014.
Some standard shortcuts:
- Displays some frequently used admin tools
- Display the "run" box
- Search the settings
2.2 Java installation
- Exit from Firefox, before installing Java. Else it may not install the plugin and not even tell so ....
2.3 Keyboard Layout Generator
- In principal, the old MKLC program made for XP is still working ...
3 Windows 7 notes
- To know about your system, look at the System Information panel
- Start button -> run. Type msinfo32
- This panel allows you browse by categories most things you may want to know about your system. To change configurations however, you need other tools, e.g. the ones you can find in the Administration tools.
- Admin Tools
- Services allows to stop/start services and to define how they should start
- System Configuration: Examine the Start (Démarrage) tab to stop software that starts when you boot and that you don't want to (e.g. the multiple Adobe tools ...)
- Network traffic monitoring
- Install http://www.winpcap.org/ + a client
- AltGr-e (or ALT-CTRL-e) creates €
- AltGr-7 creates | (not the same as ¦)