“An Internet protocol camera, or IP camera, is a type of digital video camera commonly employed for surveillance, and which, unlike analog closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras, can send and receive data via a computer network and the Internet. Although most cameras that do this are webcams, the term IP camera or netcam is usually applied only to those used for surveillance that can be directly accessed over a network connection.” Wikipedia (march 2018).
As of 2018, even cheap IP Cameras have the following features
- remote control (login required)
- capable of streaming real-time motion video
- encrypted data transmission
- two way audio
- WIFI and LAN connection. WIFI capability may be limited since default interfaces only work with simple home networks.
Also, according to Wikipedia, two industry groups were formed in 2008: the Open Network Video Interface Forum (ONVIF) and the Physical Security Interoperability Alliance (PSIA). While the PSIA was founded by 20 member companies including Honeywell, GE Security and Cisco, and ONVIF was founded by Axis Communications, Bosch and Sony, each group now has numerous members. Cameras and recording hardware operating under the same standard will be able to work with each other, as each device will be communicating in the same language
Below we will write down some tips about a cheap indoor Camera (to be moved some day)
2 7Links IPC-380
We bought this camera in March 2018 for about 100CHF. It also is known as NX-4284-919
- 360 / 180 degree rotation
- Full HD
- SD card
Installation in our work environment (secured WIFIs).
- It could not be connected to the WIFI (more about that later)
- Since the WIFI installation does not work, the default mobile app "IP1080 zLinks" will not work either.
- WLAN Ethernet connection works fine with DHCP
- The Windows programs included on the CD (luckily I still got a CD on my Linux desktop):
- SearchPro works (finds the camera), but it only speaks German.
- HyPlayer does not work with my browsers, but the Flash player does in Firefox and Edge (in Chrome nothing works).
- iSmartView (an alternative to viewing in the browser) works.
In Europe, the model is available through many retailers, e.g. Pearl or Amazon
Manuals and Drivers in German, at PEARL