- E-Slate is a toolkit to build and configure educational microworlds. It is meant to used either by teachers, authors/teachers fit for end-user programming, and Java programmers.
- “ E-Slate is an exploratory learning environment. It provides a workbench for creating highly dynamic software with rich functionality,by non-programmers. Educational activity ideas can be turned into software with minimal authoring effort in the form of interactive Microworlds which contain specially designed educational components. E-Slate components are provided as a kit of pre-fabricated, interoperable computational objects. Software Microworlds can be very easily constructed by plugging components in various configurations. The behaviour of both components and Microworlds, can be programmed in a Logo-based scripting language. E-Slate is currently based on the Java platform and related technologies.” (E-Slate WebSite, retrieved 13:06, 5 September 2006 (MEST))
We don't know if this project is still under active development as of 16:39, 8 July 2009 (UTC) (DKS).
E-Slate allows for different roles:
- E-Slate Home Page. E-Slate is available for free (Java Runtime needed).
Available for download at http://e-slate.cti.gr/Resources.htm
- C. Kynigos, M. Koutlis 2002: "E-slate: A 'black-and-white box' approach to component computing". Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, 2002. DOC
- C. Kynigos 2002: "Generating cultures for mathematical microworld development in a multi-organizational context". Journal of Educational Computing Research, Baywood Publishing Co. Inc. (1 and 2), 183-209. DOC
- C. Kynigos 2001: "E-slate Logo as a basis for constructing microworlds with mathematics teachers". Proceedings of the Ninth Eurologo Conference, Lintz, Austria, 65-74. DOC
- G. Birbilis, M. Koutlis, K. Kyrimis, G. Tsironis, G. Vasiliou, 2000: "E-Slate: A software architectural style for end-user programming", presented at the 22nd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2000), Limerick, Ireland. PDF
- J. Roschelle, M. Koutlis, A. Reppening, et al, 1999: "Developing Educational Software Components", IEEE Computer, September 1999 Special Issue on Web based
learning and collaboration pp 2-10. PDF
- M. Koutlis etal, 1999: "E-Slate: a kit of educational components" AI-ED '99 international conference, poster session, LeMans, France, July '99. PDF
- M. Koutlis, P. Kourouniotis, K. Kyrimis, N. Renieri, 1998: "Inter-component communication as a vehicle towards end-user modeling", ICSE'98 Workshop on Component-Based Software Engineering, Kyoto, Japan. On-line proceedings
- Ch. Kynigos, M. Koutlis, Th. Hadzilacos, 1998: "Mathematics with Component Oriented Exploratory Software", International Journal of Computers in Mathematics Education, Kluwer Academic. PDF