Cultural competence/cultural intelligence self-assessment
Rate the extent to which you agree with each statement, using the scale:
- 1=strongly disagree, 2=disagree, 3=neutral, 4=agree, 5= strongly agree
- _____ Before I interact with people from a new culture, I ask myself what I hope to achieve.
- _____ If I encounter something unexpected while working in a new culture, I use this experience to figure out new ways to approach other cultures in the future.
- _____ I plan how I am going to relate to people from a different culture before I meet them.
- _____ When I come in to a new cultural situation, I can immediately sense whether something is going well or something is going wrong.
- Total_____ /4 = ____ Cognitive CQ
- _____ It is easy for me to change my body language (for example, eye contact or posture) to suit people from a different culture.
- _____ I can alter my expression when a cultural encounter requires it.
- _____ I modify my speech style (for example, accent or tone) to suit people from a different culture.
- _____ I easily change the way I act when a cross-cultural encounter seems to require it.
- Total_____/4= ____ Physical CQ
- _____ I have confidence that I can deal well with people from a different culture.
- _____ I am certain that I can befriend people whose cultural backgrounds are different from mine.
- _____ I can adapt to the lifestyle of a different culture with relative ease.
- _____ I am confident that I can deal with a cultural situation that is unfamiliar.
- Total_____/4=____ Motivational/emotional CQ
In this quiz the closer to 5 your average score is the higher your CQ.
- Earley, P. C., & Mosakowski, E. (2004). Cultural intelligence. Harvard business review, 82(10), 139-146.