From EduTech Wiki
Collective learning can refer to different concepts:
- It is sometimes used as a global term for everything that is cooperative, collaborative, etc.
- It can refer to pedagogical designs that feature collective intelligence, i.e. some sorts of sharing activities like it often happens in project-oriented learning designs where teams work on their own project but sometimes must engage in exchange activities.
- It can refer to situations where a collective (i.e. several individuals) go through a same transformation.
2 Collective learning types
de Laat and Simons typology of "Individual and collective learning processes and outcomes":
|Processes||Individual||Individual learning||Individual learning processes with collective outcomes|
|Collective||Learning in social interaction||Collective learning|
de Laat and Simons typology of different collective learning types:
|Individual outcomes||Networking||Learning team|
|Collective organisational outcomes||Working team||Community of practise|
|Collective professional outcomes||Working team||Community of learners|
- de Laat, Maarten and Robert-Jan Simons, Collective learning: Theoretical perspectives and ways to suppport networked learning, Vocational Training, 27. PDF
- De Laat, M., Lally, V., Lipponen, L. and Simons, R.-J. (2007) ‘Online teaching in networked learning communities’, Instructional Science, 35, 257-286