Assessment of music students
This entry should include various evaluation methods at some point. We also will be interested on how to teach music online and use technology for formative assessment (feedback that helps learning).
Jazz piano students evaluation
- Bradley Sowash, in a forum message identified four big dimensions: Rhythm, Scales, Harmony and Play.
- jazz piano lessons / new students Evaluation grid by Bradley Sowash posted on july 2011 at pianoworld.
- Various PHD thesis sponsored by SmartMusic
- Akron Public Schools 2011-2012 Music Handbook (Includes some lesson plans and rules/tips for assessment, use search and look at forms at the end)
(these are randomly found items ... really not complete - Daniel K. Schneider 17:35, 15 September 2011 (CEST))
- Asmus, E. P. (1999). Music assessment concepts. Music Educators Journal, 86(2), 19-23. JSTOR access
- Brophy, T. S. (2000) Assessing the Developing Child Musician: A Guide for Music Teachers
- Boyle, J. David, and Rudolf E. Radocy. Measuremenat and Evaluationo for Musical Experiences. New York:Schirmer Books, 1987.
- Colwell, R. (2003). The status of arts assessment: Examples from music. Arts Education Policy Review, 105(2), 11-18.
- Colwell, R. & Richardson, C. (Eds.). (2002) The new handbook of research on music teaching and learning. New York: Oxford University Press
- Edmund, D. C., Birkner, M. E., Burcham, R. W., & Heffner, C. J. (2008). Identifying key issues for assessment in music education. In T.S. Brophy (Ed.), Assessment in Music Education: Integrating Curriculum Theory, and Practice. Proceedings of the 2007 Florida Symposium on Assessment in Music Education (pp. 45-55). Chicago: Gia.
- Fisher, Ryan (2008). Debating Assessment in Music Education, Research & Issues In Music Education, September 2008 : Volume 6 : No. 1 HTML (open access, the initial bibliography items were found in this article).
- Gaffney, Valerie F. (2005). The development of an assessment tool to gather evidence and evaluate the progress of performance skills of students in the Edgerton High School Band. MA Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. (google this)
- Russel, Joshua, A. (2010). Assessment Practices of Secondary Music Teachers, Journal of Research in Music Education April 2010 vol. 58 no. 1 37-54, doi: 10.1177/0022429409360062
- Orzolek, D. C. (2006). The paradox of assessment: Assessment as paradox [Electronic version]. Research and Issues in Music Education, 4. Retrieved Sept. 2011 from http://www.stthomas.edu/rimeonline/vol4/orzolek.htm
- Sheldon, Deborah., Reese, S., & Grashel, J. (1999). The effects of live accompaniment, intelligent digital accompaniment, and no accompaniment on musicians’ performance quality. Journal of Research in Music Education, 47, 251-288.
- Sheridan, Mark and Charles Byrne (2002). Ebb and flow of assessment in music. British Journal of Music Education, 19, pp 135-143 doi:10.1017/S0265051702000220
- Stanley, Michael; Ron Brooker and Ross Gilbert, Examiner Perceptions of Using Criteria in Music Performance Assessment, Research Studies in Music Education June 2002 vol. 18 no. 1 46-56, DOI 10.1177/1321103X020180010601
- ????, Assessment in Instrumental Music: How can band, orchestra, and instrumental ensemble directors best assess their student's learning? Here are some evaluation tools and techniques to consider Music Educators Journal September 1999 86: 31-50, doi: 10.2307/3399587
- RIME Research & Issues In Music Education (open access journal), Archive (includes a search facility)