There exist many kinds of annotation systems and therefore the term is quite ambiguous and context dependent. A general definition was given by Cousins et al. (2000):
Wikipedia defines an annotation as “a marked-up comment made to information in a book, document, online record, video, software code or other information.”, retrieved 18:22, 2 July 2009 (UTC).
Annotation systems in education
Used in education, annotation system can refer to a variety of technologies, e.g.:
- text annotation systems (e.g. online word processors and web page annotation systems).
- Anchored forums
- On-screen annotation (annotate a screen that is on display)
- Annotations of bibliographic entries or web pages, e.g. as in social bookmarking tools.
- Tagging of various artifacts (articles, images, videos, genomes, etc.)
- Adding controlled vocabulary to various artifacts (e.g. metadata
- Note taking tools like Zotero that allow a a reader to add personal notes to a text or a web page
- Educational classroom tools like Freestyler or Classroom Presenter, that allow participants to annotate slides, learner-built models and other artifacts.
- Tools to annotate formal descriptions (e.g. genomes, visualizations, etc.)
- Annotation (Wikipedia)