“Mendeley is a gratis, proprietary desktop and web program for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online. It combines Mendeley Desktop, a PDF and reference management application (available for Windows, Mac and Linux) with Mendeley Web, an online social network for researchers.” (Wikipedia, retrieved April 2010).
According to Wikipedia:
- Mendeley Desktop runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Automatic extraction of metadata from PDF papers.
- Back-up and synchronization across multiple computers and with a private online account.
- PDF viewer with sticky notes, text highlighting and full-screen reading.
- Full-text search across papers.
- Smart filtering, tagging and automatic PDF file renaming.
- Citations and bibliographies in Microsoft Word and OpenOffice.
- Import of documents and research papers from external websites via a browser bookmarklet.
- BibTeX export/file sync
- Shared collections to collaboratively tag and annotate research papers.
- Social networking features (newsfeeds, comments, profile pages, etc.).
- Usage-based readership statistics about papers, authors and publications.
Mendeley does not allow importing bibliographies (i.e. lists of references) that are in text or wordprocessor or PDF format.
To import a list of references:
- Create an account with wizfolio (similar software). The limited free version is good enough for this task.
- Create a collection and keep it selected.
- Add button -> from clip board
- Wizfolio now will attempt to find the bibliographic data. For a larger list, this will take some time.
- Export to some Mendeley compatible format
- Import to Mendeley.
- Mendeley home page