Cultural competence/Measurement of Horizontal and Vertical Individualism and Collectivism
Items for the Measurement of Horizontal and Vertical Individualism and Collectivism<ref>Singelis, T; H. C. Triandis, D. Bhawuk, and M. Gelfand (1995). "Horizontal and Vertical Individualism and Collectivism: A Theoretical and Methodological Refinement" (Table 4), by Cross-CulturalPsychology, 29, pp. 240-275.</ref><ref name="triadis1996">Triandis, H. (1996) “The Psychological Measurement of Cultural Syndromes.” American Psychologist. 51.4 (1996): 407-415. PDF reprint </ref>
Vertical Individualism (a = .82)
- It annoys me when other people perform better than I do.
- Competition is the law of nature.
- When another person does better than I do, I get tense and aroused.
- Without competition, it is not possible to have a good society.
- Winning is everything.
- It is important that I do my job better than others.
- I enjoy working in situations involving competition with others.
- Some people emphasize winning; I'm not one of them (and vice versa)
Vertical collectivism (a = .73)
- I would do what would please my family, even if I detested that activity.
- I usually sacrifice my self-interest for the benefit of my group.
- We should keep our aging parents with us at home.
- I would sacrifice an activity that I enjoy very much if my family did not approve of it.
- Children should be taught to place duty before pleasure.
- It is important to me that I respect the decisions made by my groups.
- Self-sacrifice is a virtue.
- It annoys me if I have to sacrifice activities that I enjoy to help others (reverse scoring).
HorizontalIndividualism(a = .81 )
- I often do "my own thing."
- Being a unique individual is important to me.
- I'd rather depend on myself than on others.
- I rely on myself most of the time; I rarely rely on others.
- My personal identity, independent from others, is very important to me.
- I am a unique person, separate from others.
- I enjoy being unique and different from others.
Horizontal Collectivism (a = .80)
- The well-being of my coworkers is important to me.
- If a coworker gets a prize, I would feel proud.
- If a relative were in financial difficulty, I would help within my means.
- It is important to me to maintain harmony within my group.
- I like sharing little things with my neighbors.
- It is important to consult close friends and get their ideas before making a decision.